Saturday 19 June 2010

Cornice in the bathroom

All the cornices have been removed from our house so I have had to choose how to replace them.

Typically, Edwardian houses had the most ornate cornice on the ground floor, with less and less detail as you proceed up the house. This is the pattern that I have stuck to.

Our family bathroom had concave quadrant coving. It was quite nicely fitted and made of good solid plaster but not at all in keeping with the look I wanted. I hesitated for a while before replacing it, as it's probably the first thing we've ripped out that was still in good condition, wasn't dated and was only being removed because it simply wasn't my taste, which always seems a bit wasteful to me. At the eleventh hour, I made the decision.....extravagant or otherwise, we were going for the chop!


Our plasterer came in with a team of 4 and had it done in a few of hours.

The bathroom is on the middle floor so we replaced it with a swan-neck cornice. The ground floor will be more detailed and the top floor will have none at all.


Good quality cornice makes a huge difference to a room, I think. Graceful and elegant. Understated period charm.


Enter your email address:

to subscribe to Modern Country Style





4 comments :

Unknown said...

I really like it. Simple, clean and crisp. I'm not one for ornate either.

Unknown said...

Hi, I found your image in google while I was looking for a matching coving for our house.
It looks very similar to the one we have.
I wonder if you could tell me where you bought it from?

Lavender Girl said...

Coving help required - can you help please? So for months, no years in fact, I've poured over your site, pinterest & magazines looking at gorgeous modern country interiors. I now need to pick coving for my simple, little country cottage. What style would you recommend? I always thought I'd go for a simple, yet traditional style like ogee or C profile coving, but now it's come to purchase time, I'm hesitant about buying, worried that even that may be too ostentatious for a little cottage, but on other hand don't want to just get plain coving that goes into new builds - although I'm looking at that right now and it is very nice in a simple, clean lines way. Arrgh please help - I don't want to lose the opportunity of getting a bit of traditional detail in but also don't want to go over the top! I'm not aiming for rustic cottage, I'm definitely aiming for modern country.

Ander Son said...

I appreciate the balanced approach you took in discussing this issue. It's refreshing to see an article that presents multiple viewpoints without being biased. Thanks for sharing!
tarpaulin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
01 09 10